The sleep medicine physician will recommend a treatment based on the parasomnia diagnosis. Members of the sleep team can help you manage your parasomnia using medication, behavioral therapy or lifestyle change.
If you sleepwalk or have a parasomnia that causes you to get out of bed, there are steps you can take to make your home safer:
- Add locks or alarms on your windows and doors
- Sleep on the ground floor
- Clear your bedroom of things that might cause you to trip or fall
If you are diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea, treatment using CPAP or an alternative treatment may improve the symptoms of related parasomnias.
You may also be instructed to follow these tips to minimize your symptoms:
- Get a full night of sleep every night
- Keep a regular sleep-wake schedule
- If you use sleeping pills, use the medication as directed
- Make adjustments to your work schedule if you are a shift worker
- Avoid alcohol and drug use
See a board certified sleep medicine specialist at an AASM Accredited Sleep Center near you if you think you may have a parasomnia.